BCEN’s board members, who will begin their volunteer, two-year terms on January 1, 2020, include Chairperson Kyle Madigan, MSN, RN, CEN, CFRN, CTRN, CCRN, CMTE, director, Dartmouth-Hitchcock Advanced Response Team at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center in Lebanon, New Hampshire. In September 2019, Madigan was appointed by U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) Secretary Elaine Chao to DOT’s Air Ambulance and Patient Billing (AAPB) Advisory Committee as the representative of nurses. The 13-member committee advises the Secretary about issues relating to air ambulance services and patient billing.
The Chairperson-elect is Rebecca Steinmann, MS, APN, RN-BC, CPEN, CEN, TCRN, CCRN, CCNS, FAEN, nursing professional development practitioner in the Emergency Care Center at Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children's Hospital of Chicago. Secretary/Treasurer: Steven P. Talbot, MSN, RN, CEN, TCRN, trauma program manager and operations administrator manager at Memorial Hermann Memorial City Medical Center in Houston, Texas.
Immediate Past Chairperson is Lorie Ledford, MSN, RN, CEN, CFRN, CPEN, CTRN, TCRN, CCRN, chief flight nurse with Alia MedFlight in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Sean M. Elwell, MSN, RN, NE-BC, TCRN, EMT, director, Trauma, Transport and Emergency Services, Nemours/Alfred I. duPont Hospital for Children, Wilmington, Delaware
- Julie Ruddy, BS, RN, CEN, CPEN, TCRN, staff RN, Emergency Trauma Center, Abington Hospital-Jefferson Health, Abington, Pennsylvania
- Andrew Veitch, BSN, RN, CCRN, CFRN, CTRN, operating room nurse, Stanford Health Care, and Legal Nurse Consultant, Palo Alto, California
- Allen Wolfe, MSN, RN, CFRN, CTRN, CCRN, CMTE, director of clinical education/critical care clinical specialist, Air Methods Corporation, Greenwood Village, Colorado
- Public Representative: Robert Corrao, CEO, LAC Group, Los Angeles, California
BCEN Executive Director Janie Schumaker, MBA, BSN, RN, CEN, CENP, CPHQ, FABC, who also serves on the board, recognized outgoing board member Mary Whelan, MSN, RN, CEN: “Mary is a steadfast advocate for nurses and for greater recognition of those who support nursing and specialty certification. During her decade of exceptional service on BCEN’s board, she has insisted on high quality, robust products from BCEN and her deep belief in a good customer service experience is evidenced in BCEN’s focus on continuous customer improvement.”
Whelan, who is director of emergency services of Doylestown Hospital in Doylestown, Pennsylvania, first earned her Certified Emergency Nurse (CEN) in 1992. Before and during her tenure on BCEN’s board of directors, Mary has been a strong contributor to the CEN exam as an item writer and as a member and chairperson of the CEN exam construction and review committee.